Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Star Apple Diaries Remixed and Reinvented

In 2008 I started this blog called star apple diaries. It is named after my favorite fruit the Star Apple. I wanted to share my food facts food journeys and findings. I trust you will enjoy reading as much I enjoyed discovering and learning and eating.

Restaurant Awards and Guides

The first American restaurant guides were produced locally in cities with vibrant restaurant cultures, namely New York, New Orleans, and San Francisco. Among the earliest was the The Restaurants of New York (1925) by George Chappell, the architecture critic for the New Yorker magazine. The first popular national guide to restaurant across the United States was produced by Duncan Hines, a traveling salesman who mailed a list of his 167 favorite restaurants to friends as a greeting card in 1935. The following year he published Adventures in Good Eating, which, according to his introduction, "Let the public know where they might find decent food, carefully prepared by a competent chef in clean surroundings."

Sources of information Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America.